Mary Pickford Season: FD Cinematheque
Director: D W Griffith
Cast: Mary Pickford, Henry B Walthall, Francis J Grandon, Kate Bruce, W Chrystie Miller, Dorothy Bernard, Robert Harron, Mae Marsh, Jack Pickford, Mack Sennett, Charles West, Dotothy West
D W Griffith
Ramona is a 1910 American short drama film directed by D. W. Griffith, based on Helen Hunt Jackson‘s 1884 novel Ramona. Through a love story, the early silent short explores racial injustice to Native Americans and stars Mary Pickford and Henry B. Walthall. A copy of the print survives in the Library of Congress film archive.
Ramona chronicles the romance between Ramona (Mary Pickford), a Spanish orphan from the prestigious Moreno family, and Alessandro (Henry B. Walthall), an Indian who appears on her family’s ranch one day. A man named Felipe (Francis J. Grandon) proclaims his love for Ramona, but she rejects him because she has fallen for Alessandro.
They fall deeply in love, yet their desire to wed is denied by Ramona’s stepmother, who reacts by exiling Alessandro from her ranch. He returns to his village, only to find that it has been demolished by white men. Meanwhile, Ramona is informed that she also has “Indian blood”, which leads her to abandon everything she has to be with Alessandro.
They marry, and live among the wreckage of Alessandro’s devastated village. They have a child together and live at peace until the white men come to force them from their home as they claim the land. Their baby perishes, and then Alessandro is then killed by the white men. Ramona is then rescued by Felipe and returned to her family back on the ranch.
- Mary Pickford as Ramona
- Henry B. Walthall as Alessandro
- Francis J. Grandon as Felipe
- Kate Bruce as The Mother
- W. Chrystie Miller as The Priest
- Dorothy Bernard
- Gertrude Claire as Woman in west
- Robert Harron
- Dell Henderson as Man at burial
- Mae Marsh
- Frank Opperman as Ranch hand
- Anthony O’Sullivan as Ranch hand
- Jack Pickford as A boy
- Mack Sennett as White exploiter
- List of American films of 1910
- D. W. Griffith filmography
- Ramona (1928 film)
- Ramona (1936 film)
- “Ramona (1910) — (Movie Clip) Opening”. Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved October 4, 2016.
- “Progressive Silent Film List: Ramona”. Silent Era. Retrieved June 2, 2008.
- Moving Picture World. “Ramona (1910) Plot Summary”. IMDB. Retrieved September 30, 2015.