Pre Code Hollywood Season: FD Cinematheque
The Four Feathers (1929)
Directors: Merian C Cooper, Ernest B Shoedsack
Cast: Richard Arlen, Fay Wray, Clive Brook, William Powell, Theodore von Eltz, Noah Beery Sr., Zack Williams, Noble Johnson, Phillippe De Lacy, Harold Hightower, Rex Ingram
The Four Feathers is a 1929 American war film directed by Merian C. Cooper and starring Fay Wray. The picture has the distinction of being one of the last major Hollywood pictures of the silent era.
It was also released by Paramount Pictures in a version with a Movietone soundtrack with music and sound effects only. The film is the third of numerous film versions of the 1902 novel The Four Feathers written by A. E. W. Mason, and the cast features Richard Arlen, Clive Brook, William Powell and Noah Beery, Sr.
- Richard Arlen as Lt. Harry Faversham
- Fay Wray as Ethne Eustace
- Clive Brook as Lt. Jack Durrance
- William Powell as Capt. William Trench
- Theodore von Eltz as Lt. Castleton
- Noah Beery, Sr. as Slave Trader
- Zack Williams as Idris
- Noble Johnson as Ahmed
- Philippe De Lacy as Harry, age 10
- E. J. Ratcliffe as Col. Eustace
- George Fawcett as Col. Faversham
The film is recognized by American Film Institute in these lists:
- Hall, Mordaunt. “New York Times: The Four Feathers”. NY Times. Retrieved July 22, 2008.
- IMDB entry
- “AFI’s 100 Years…100 Cheers Nominees” (PDF). Retrieved August 14, 2016