Pre Code Hollywood Season: FD Cinematheque
The Gay Nighties (1933)
Director: Mark Sandrich
Cast: Bobby Clark, Paul McCullough, James Finlayson, Dorothy Granger, John Sheehan, Monte Collins
Clark & McCullough, as Hives and Blodgett, are campaign managers for political candidate Oliver Beezley. They plan to defeat Beezley’s political rival, Commodore Amos Pipp (James Finlayson), by exploiting his weakness for women.
Blodgett is to be disguised as a beautiful woman to entrap Pipp, but with his moustache he proves unconvincing in drag—Hives declares, “Even the Commodore wouldn’t fall for a buzzard like you!”—and Hives instead enlists the help of Mrs. Beezley (Dorothy Granger) to carry out the scheme.
First, though, they have to stay out of the line of fire, and ahead of the police, the nearsighted house detective (Monte Collins), a sleepy man with a cot (Charles Williams), and a somnambulist Countess (Sandra Shaw) with her afghan hound.
- Bobby Clark as B. Oglethorpe Hives
- Paul McCullough as Blodgett
- James Finlayson as Mr. Pipp
- Dorothy Granger as Mrs. Beezley
- John Sheehan as Mr. Beezley
- Monte Collins as Hotel Detective
- Sandra Shaw as Countess
- Charles Williams as Sleepy Man
- The Gay Nighties on Internet Movie Database
- The Gay Nighties is available for free download at the Internet Archive
Film Collectors Corner
Watch The Gay Nighties Now – Instant Video on Internet Archive
Not released on Blu Ray